Skip to main content

Market Yourself On A Budget

Several years ago I was arriving to a networking event a bit late.  I parked my vehicle near the back of the lot and walked past all of the other attendees' cars with their wraps and sign magnets. I noticed a few realtors had attached business card holders to their cars. For some reason I kept thinking about how smart it was to let people grab a card while I could be doing other things, like shop.

A few years later I bought one of these card holders from a local office supply store. I measured out how much room I had on the back of my car as well as the size of the card holder. Next I went to Vistaprint and designed a sign magnet with enough room for the card holder to stick on without blocking my message. You can see the results below. 


I quickly realized that the sun and rain would make my cards look "weathered" after a while so I learned to only leave 2 cards in there at a time. (Cards costs too much to throw out a dozen at a time because they got soggy.) This also made it easier to notice if someone actually took my card while I was away from my vehicle. Even though it hasn't garnered a lot of results I have returned to my car after shopping or walking to see that a card is missing. 

But the most interesting thing regarding this happened a couple of weeks ago. I was driving to a nearby town for a business meeting and came to a stop at a red light. In my rearview mirror I could see a man jump out of the van in back of me. He saw me in the mirror and waved and grabbed a card. He jumped back into the van as the light turned green. 

A few minutes later my phone rang. It was the guy in back of me wanting to know about dental insurance. We spoke briefly and I called him a few hours later with the information he needed. 

The best part of a sign magnet is that it's a one-time cost. The magnet was about $15 and the card holder was about $5. You aren't going to find many marketing tools that you can continue to use for $20. And if I get just one guy wanting dental, life or any other kind of insurance from my magnetic card holder it has more than paid for itself.

The old adage that says you have to spend money to make money can be true, but no one says you have to spend too much, and the less you invest (while still getting a return on that investment) will increase your profits and bottom line. 

Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. He's also the author of "You're Going To Be Great At This!", a humorous look at sales. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make A Sales Call With Another Rep

In my first book I told the story of going on a call with my sales manager, Tom, who was obligated to observe each of the people on our crew every few weeks or so. Fortunately for me, the manager was pretty cool, even though he was a couple of years younger than myself. He had apparently gone to work for the insurance company not long after getting out of high school and had done well enough to get a small promotion. With that being said, these "ride alongs" weren't as horrible as I expected them to be. We'd usually take his car, which saved me gas money, because driving around in the middle of nowhere doing door-to-door sales could rack up a lot of miles and waste fuel. On our first stop Tom taught me an important lessons in sales. When making a sales call with a coworker, make sure that only one of you is doing the talking . The best way for this to succeed is to decide before going into through the door who will make the presentation.  If we decided that I was to g

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&

An Effective Trick For Referrals

People in business love to get referrals. Unfortunately, many people don't know how to ask for them, or worse, don't even have a system in place to get any. In my years in sales, I have found an easy way to acquire referrals, and it doesn't cost a dime. But first, think back to a time when people would hand out multiple business cards to their clients. "Here's one for you and two more to give to your friends who may need my services," was the method. Interestingly enough, I still see people do this, which is a waste of money as the extra cards were destined to be tossed into the trash. Let's face it, you don't want to carry a pile of other people's cards to distribute, and other people don't want to carry around your cards to hand out either. Business cards are expensive and not very effective. In my experience, cards are good for two things: drawings (W in a free breakfast!) or to be left with a nice fat tip in a restaurant. So what is the sol