Skip to main content

Transferring Basic Sales Skills From One Job To Another

When I graduated from college, the idea of a career in sales was not scary, as much as it was just strange. In my head, sales people were pushy, manipulative and a bit underhanded. There was no way I was going to be the stereotypical sales guy. 

However, I was in need of a job, so I used some sort of twisted logic to believe that if I could do well selling crappy accident insurance plans, I could move up in the organization. I apparently was incorrect on several parts of that argument. 

It didn't work out that way at all. But I did get some basic sales training, which helped me in my next career move, which was at an office supply company. 

The owners of the company had decided that they needed to add an outside sales person to the mix, something their competitors had been doing for years. They took one of their employees, Ed, who worked part-time in the retail store, and moved him to a newly created outside sales position for a summer. With no training, Ed managed to get about 30 local businesses to start billing accounts. This meant that they could buy supplies when they needed them and get one bill each month. Not bad for a guy with no experience. 

Ed told his employers he enjoyed the stint but he was enrolled in college and needed to get back to his studies. They put him back into his position in the retail store, but he let them know if they wanted to continue with the momentum he created, he knew a guy who could do the job. You see, Ed was one of my roommates in college, and the guy he recommended was me.

When I took the job, there were two other sales people as well. One was the manager of one of the stores, who saw Ed's success and thought he could do better. He was a true company man, or as I called him, a real kiss ass. The other, a guy named Derek, was also on board.  


The owners of the company, a friendly husband and wife, took a map of the area and divided it into three parts. Most of Ed's accounts were concentrated in the business district of town, and the store manager called dibs on that one. That meant that Derek and I would have to create a lot of something out of a lot of nothing. 

Within a few weeks, Derek quit altogether. I took over his territory and was making some good gains, and about this time the store manager floundered. His constant complaints, which ranged from his lack of production to his clients' failure to follow through, led the owners of the company to put him back in his position as store manager. This left me with the entire territory.

I did okay considering what I had to work with. Our prices were not in line with our competitors, and as far as our customers cared, our products were just a commodity. Also, the owner's were hesitant about offering deep discounts like our competitors. 

The owners had hired a couple of delivery guys, but they didn't work out. One of them smoked and had the worst breath I've ever smelled. He was also suspected of stealing some money, so his days were numbered. His successor was impaired by his marijuana usage, leading to delayed or incorrect orders being filled. I ended up doing it myself as part of my great "customer service". 

After a year or so of this, I saw the writing on the wall. There were changes in the office supply industry on the horizon, like Office Depot and Staples opening up locations. The owners made a half-hearted attempt to buy in bulk direct, in an effort to work around the wholesalers. It didn't work, and I could see my future was bleak with this outfit, so I left the company. 

In retrospect, I took the skills I learned from selling insurance door-to-door and transferred them to cold calling businesses. Apparently this had been the bane of the store manager, as he didn't like having to walk into a business uninvited and create a conversation. To me, cold calling and opening accounts was the easiest part of the job. 

I did learn a lot about how a small business works. The owners never hesitated to share their knowledge with me and I used a lot of that information later when I opened my own insurance practice. And even though I was there for a short amount of time, I consider it a great experience. 

Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. He's also the author of "You're Going To Be Great At This!", a humorous look at sales. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&