Skip to main content

Giving the Dreaded Group Presentation

Imagine having to stand up in a room full of prospects and give a sales talk. For many people, public speaking is unbearable and, as we all know, one of the biggest fears of a large number of people. Now consider giving that same talk to a group of people, but this time you are with your coworkers next to you waiting to present as well.

It doesn't matter if there are five of you giving a presentation to a large group or just two of you in the home of client, you have to be prepared ahead of time. Determining who is going to do most of the talking, the order in which you speak and where you will sit when others are talking are important in keeping the audience engaged.

Years ago when I first got into the selling professionally, my sales manager would take me with him (or ride along with me to my clients' homes) to critique each other's talks. Mostly he was there to make sure I didn't say something stupid. Before we would go inside a home we would discuss the plan of attack in the driveway. 

Sitting in the car he would say, "I'm going to do all the talking on this one. Don't interrupt unless I say something completely dumb or incorrect," or "You talk and I'll only jump in if you need me." That may sound harsh but it worked. Then he would add, "And act like every word I say is gospel."

 Following his instructions I would sit quietly and act as if I hadn't heard this presentation 100 times already. The client would pick up on this and look at me from time to time. I would glance at the client and then turn my attention back to the manager who was giving his sales pitch with great enthusiasm. The client would then revert their attention back to the manager. 

None of this would have worked if I was looking at my phone (we didn't have cell phones back in the day) or watching the TV. I had to focus on the speaker to get the client to focus on the speaker. And if I acted distracted, so would the client.


This is true when giving presentations to large groups as well. If you are on a dais or stage behind a speaker, act as if you are listening to the person talking. When the audience sees you looking enthralled, no matter how boring the topic is, they will do their best to listen. 

A couple of years ago I was giving some presentations to school teachers about their benefits. Trust me when I say that this is one of the worst topics ever. Teachers work hard, put up with bratty kids and have heard the "benefits talk" dozens of times. You can literally see their eyes glaze over while you discuss their disability plan.

A coworker and I decided to take turns speaking, as there were several talks each day. I noticed that when I spoke my coworker would be staring at her phone or looking at the art work the students had made. I tried to discreetly mention that my talk would be more effective if the teachers saw her paying attention. "Oh, yeah, I guess I shouldn't get distracted," she said looking off into the distance.

Of course she went back to looking at her watch and reading her email while I spoke, so I tried a different approach. At the beginning of my talk I introduced her as "my coworker and personal mentor" as sarcastically as I could. That got a small laugh. Then I would randomly ask her questions as if I was needing her approval. "Did I say that correctly?" I'd ask. She would look up, confused because she had not been listening. 

"Sounds good to me," she would say without a clue. 

Then I would throw in some bizarre reference or observation about one of the products. "This policy will cover you even if you are missing a forehead!" The teachers would start to chuckle and my coworker would look up as if she had missed out on a joke. After doing this several times, she put her phone down and began to wait for my next absurd comment.

Generally speaking, it's best if you have your group discuss a game plan ahead of time. If you are speaking, ask the other speakers to pay attention to you for "feedback" later. And if you are waiting to speak, have a pen and a pad of paper with you to look as if you are taking notes. The end goal is to keep the audience engaged, because if one of you makes the sale, you all make the sale. 

Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. He's also the author of "You're Going To Be Great At This!", a humorous look at sales. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&