Skip to main content

Cooking Up Some Business With Mike Macri

I've known Mike Macri for a few years now. We met at a local networking group, where he shared information on his business, My Mike Cooks (#mymikecooks, LLC). He told me that he left the long, cold winters of Connecticut to make the warmer temps of Murrells Inlet, SC his new home in 2016. He started his personal chef business, #mymikecooks, LLC as soon as he unpacked boxes and enjoys cooking for happy vacationers, as well as celebrating all types of occasions with his clients: from beach weddings; rehearsal dinners; anniversaries and even a marriage proposal dinner. Some of Mike’s specialties are Italian & Mediterranean cuisines, Mexican, BBQ and Low Country and vegetarian/vegan fare. His passion for food and serving people shows in his interaction with clients and guests. For Mike, it is an honor and privilege to be invited into ones home and prepare great meals for all to enjoy!

With a great story like that I asked Mike to indulge me on his business tips and networking successes. 

Thanks for taking the time to talk today. Tell me about your business.

#mymikecooks, LLC is a Personal Chef business that specializes in preparing and serving meals to clients in their home or space. This allows them time to enjoy their guests without the work of cooking, serving and especially cleaning up. I am mostly in demand with the vacation rentals industry as I give families the ultimate experience of enjoying a beach vacation while I serve dinner in complete relaxation.

Do you consider yourself a caterer, a personal chef or something totally different?

I’m primarily a personal chef but also a “personable chef”. I like interacting with clients and guests,
sometimes letting them watch me prepare and to answer any questions. Unlike a caterer who makes
food for delivery or drop offs, I don’t own or operate out of a commercial kitchen so that’s not me.
That being said, I think there is something more unique and intimate with my services.

How are you attracting new clients to your business?

The majority of my clients come to me from social media such as Facebook or from my website. There are so many local Facebook pages and groups that my business gets showcased or referred from.
Referrals is the best way for me to meet new clients, from having others speak highly of my work. My
third avenue is networking with area real estate and rental agencies by letting their clients know of my
services. And lastly having the right search engine words with Google helps direct traffic to my site.

I know you do some networking locally. How effective is that for you?

Networking helps me meet like minded business people to share ideas, services and to be able to
build a reference network for recommendations. The exposure of networking helps build confidence in
selling myself and the services I provide. I think we are very fortunate to live in an area where there are
so many individual/small businesses that are more personable rather than larger corporate entities.



What advice would you give those who have considered network events?

I would recommend having business cards for starter. You need a way to make that impression that
tells someone to get in contact with you. Secondly is appearance - dress for the service you provide
but also the clients you want to attract (unless your service involves getting muddy and dirty). Third is
talk confidently of your work and get to know other people/clients information - don’t ever dominate
the conversation about yourself.

I've seen your cooking videos on Facebook and it looks like you're having a good time. Have you picked up any business or referrals that way?

Thank you for that - Many people share my videos to their friends/families saying “this is the guy I was
telling you about - you should call him to do so-in-so’s party!” That’s why I always want to make fun
videos so that it encourages people to want to partake in the experience.

How do you prepare for meeting with a client for the first time?

I am lost without my binder. I like to have all my notes together: name, address, contact info and as
much details from the first conversation. That way I don’t have to waste the client’s time repeating info
that was discussed the first time.

I'm curious, but have you had anyone give you their family recipes or suggestions on how to prepare their meals?

There’s been some people I worked for or their guests that will tell me of some old recipes or meals
they like to make. I enjoy listening to their stories and the emotions it brings when they describe it. I
am very conscientious to meals where dietary restrictions or allergies are concerned. I never want
people to feel excluded from enjoying meals from all the others.

Do you have any funny or unusual stories you can share?

Usually the clients just have so much fun that I enjoy being a part of their party. I have had some
pretty tipsy clients but that’s because they are truly enjoying their time.

Sounds like your clients enjoy themselves. Do you have any recommendations for our readers on starting their own business?

I was lucky that I got to start as a part time, freelance business. As I started to develop a repertoire
and realized what my strengths were and where I wanted to develop, I began legitimizing the venture
(licensing, insurance, etc..) and slowly invested in materials needed based on demand, not
overreaching at the beginning. As business increases, then I spend/build to meet that demand. And
don’t react to every piece of advice from other business people - digest, investigate and determine on
your own what you think is the right decision. Too many people act like they know the right/wrong way
of starting a business but everyone’s situation is always unique.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us. I hope our readers can find some "nuggets" (see what I did there?) of insight to use for their own businesses. 

If you are in the Myrtle Beach area and would like information on booking Mike, check him out on the web at MyMikeCooks.com or on Facebook, using the #MyMikeCooks hashtag. 


Chris Castanes is a professional speaker and author who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. For booking information, 
click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states. Please subscribe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&