Skip to main content

Setting a Time for Phone Calls

One of the activities in sales that has been around forever is "working the phones". Basically telemarketing, it's the practice of calling prospects for follow-up, sales, and setting appointments. I absolutely hate the idea of calling someone out of the blue because I know that the rate of success is minimal at best.

In my practice, I only call people to follow-up (mostly underwriting issues) or setting appointments. My preferred method for the latter is to call people I've already met at networking events. Typically I will ask for their card and say something like, "I will give you a call next week to set an appointment. That way we can talk when it's more appropriate." The "appropriate" comment at the end implies that neither of us wants to talk with others standing around.

This method works for a few reasons. First, the prospect will be expecting my call. Secondly, they have met me and know I'm legit. Also, when I do meet them, I have had time to look them up on LinkedIn and see what they actually do.

One of my least favorite ways to use the phones is cold calling referrals. "Hey Joe, Bob gave me your name and said to give you a call." Odds are Joe is annoyed at the very least. Not just at me, but at Bob, who threw him under a bus. As much as I love referrals, I don't like having to put myself, Joe or Bob in that situation.

But if I ask Bob for an introduction, in which he calls Joe and gives him a warning I'm calling, it makes things much easier. See my book for more information on this technique.


I used to work for an insurance company that gave us a book of existing business. Unfortunately, for those of us at the body of the office totem pole, we got the clients that were two hours away. Our manager would have "smile and dial" parties one night a week where we would sit in cubicles and call these clients. The manager would purchase pizza on the hopes that an empty stomach would be the catalyst to make me want to drive to the office.

One idiot co-worker claimed that he needed to use the speaker feature of the phone to make his calls, so while the rest of us were trying to be discreet, you could him in the background yelling, "I'll be there next Thursday!"

The bottom line to all of this is that you'll have to use your phone. Pencil it into your schedule, do what you can with it and put it behind you. I suggest you mix it up a bit. It's hard to get people on the phone on Monday mornings, but Friday afternoon when they're just waiting to leave is easier. See what works for you. Good luck and good selling.

Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&