Skip to main content

Who Is In Your Corner?

With the exception of my infamous toddler years, I've been in sales all of my life. When I was a child my school would have fundraisers that involved sending the students into the wild to sell magazine subscriptions. Luckily for me I lived in a fairly safe residential area and my older sister would walk with me as I knocked on doors. As I was harmless and probably adorable, I sold more new subscriptions than 95% of the other kids in my class. 

I changed tactics when I was in college. Looking for some extra cash, what we called "beer and gas money", I stumbled upon a company that was looking for someone to, once again, sell magazine subscriptions. It's funny how that was such a big deal at the time. Thinking back, I got a few dollars for each subscription. We also had credit card applications that struggling college kids felt they needed. 

This company sent me a kit filled with display materials and applications. Each application had a numerical code printed on it which indicated that it was from me so I would receive my spiff. My roommate at the time, Ed, was a great guy who was also had some inherent sales abilities. I recruited him to help me in exchange for beer and we stood outside of the campus bookstore during the first few days of the semester. As students walked out with bags full of overpriced books, we would greet them and ask if it was okay to throw a couple of applications in their bags. There was a constant stream of people walking out of the store, so it wasn't like we had to look for them.

Most of the students were pretty good about it, but every once in a while someone would refuse to let me put toss an application in their bag. When that happened, the others who were immediately behind them and saw this would get bold and also refuse us. After this happened a few times I looked over at Ed and he said, "When someone says no, just give it a minute and let a few pass. Then start again." Ed's plan worked. Someone would say no thanks and we would let the next dozen or so people behind them pass through. Then we would resume asking again. It worked great!

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Like birds, only a few will lead, but the majority of the other ones will follow. When this happens, take a breather, lay low for a few seconds and start again. Let the negativity pass by and jump back in the game. 

One of the lessons I learned from this experience was that there are both positive and negative influencers out there. Each day we look for these influencers to advocate for us. (Malcolm Gladwell called them "mavens" before there was a name for it.) These are the people who will speak on your behalf, even when you aren't present and say great things about you and your product.

On the opposite side of this are those leaders and influencers who can tear you down, especially when you aren't present. The good thing is that you probably already know who they are. You can either avoid them or try to rectify the problem. Or it could just be that they are an advocate for your competition. 

The difficult part is finding your maven. Having someone advocate on your behalf is like having a second salesperson work on your behalf at no charge. My suggestion would be to find a current client who is very happy with your work and let them know you don't take them for granted. Treat them to lunch or drop off some doughnuts at their work. This sounds horribly hokey, but it is like pouring gasoline on a fire. Before you know it you'll have an army of satisfied clients leaving you excellent reviews and talking you up to their friends and family.

Make sure you spot the lead bird early on and try to steer them in your direction. In the meantime, stay healthy!


Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. He's also the author of "You're Going To Be Great At This!", a humorous look at sales. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&