Skip to main content

Selling Amid Guns and Whiskey (Dumb Story)

Last week I ran into an old colleague of mine whom I worked with back in the 1980's (yes, I'm that old). "Frank" and I talked about our brief stint selling accident plans in rural North Carolina and how much we hated the job. We got caught up on each other's personal lives. He had been married, gotten a divorce, has a couple of kids and so on. I mentioned that I had gotten out of the insurance business, went into retail and gotten back into the insurance business against my better judgement. 

I also mentioned that I had been doing some speaking and blogging and how people seemed to enjoy the stories from those good old days. He asked me, "Do you remember that time we had to work on a Saturday and met those hunters on the side of the road?"

Immediately I laughed. Yes, I did remember that horrible day in the fall of 1985. Our manager, a gruff man with a gin blossom for a nose, blew up at the entire sales crew one Friday because our numbers were low. "Weak" was actually the word he used. And the result was that we were going to have to work on Saturday to catch up. 

For those who haven't done it, making sales calls in the middle of nowhere on a Saturday is just painful. We didn't want to work and the potential customers we called on didn't want to see us either. For some reason, still unknown to this day, Frank and I decided to ride together, as misery loves company.

He claimed to know some people we could call on and we rode down some country roads that morning, hoping we could sell a few policies and get back to town to enjoy some college football games. On the side of a road we saw a pickup truck parked and a couple of guys dressed in camouflage. Deer season was upon us and these guys were doing their part to thin the herd. 

"Let's talk to them," Frank said as he pulled off of the road and parked near the truck. 

The doors to the truck were open and we could clearly see a half-gallon of Jack Daniels and some bottles of sodas. The hunters smiled at us as we got out of the car wearing coats and neckties. "Good morning, fellas," one said. "I know you aren't here to hunt with us, are you?" 

"No sir," Frank said. "We were in the area showing people this excellent accident plan and thought that you guys might be interested, no obligation of course."

They looked us up and down like we were crazy people. "Only if you have a drink with us," one insisted. He must have thought that offering us a glass of whiskey at 10:30 in the morning would scare us off and he was definitely wrong.

Over the course of the next hour or so, we drank whiskey and listened to the hunters tell us about a business plan they had in mind. One of these guys had attended a "chitlin' strut" the previous year, which was basically an outdoor festival involving food and drink, with some other activities. The hunter wanted to start his own competing "strut" and needed investors. "You fellas in or what?" he asked as he slammed back another drink.

"I appreciate the offer, and we'll be happy to attend, but I don't think I can invest in anything at this point," I said, trying to stand up straight. "If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be out here on a Saturday trying to sell insurance on the side of the road."

The hunter's face turned red with anger. "Do you think I'm trying to rip you off? Hell, I let you drink half of my liquor!" he screamed. Actually I had considered it was a scam, but I wasn't about to say so. "Get the hell out of here before I pretend you're a deer," he said as he walked to the back of his truck where the guns were. 

Frank and I teetered back to his car and sped off knowing that drunken hunters were not our target market. Somehow, we did manage to sell a couple of policies that morning, but that was the last time I stopped on the side of the road to make a sale.

Chris Castanes is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through workshops and humorous presentations. He's also the author of "You're Going To Be Great At This!", a humorous look at sales. For booking information, click here. He's also the president of Surf Financial Brokers selling life and disability insurance in several states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telemarketer's Leads - A Dumb Story

For a brief few months I worked as a telemarketer for a small firm owned by a young married couple. The husband was a bit of a hot head and kind of a jerk on occasion, but his wife was nice and had to put up with the guy.  One of their clients was a mobile home company that wanted people to come to the lot and see how awesome their singlewides and doublewides were. As telemarketers we offered incentives like a cooler and camera (back when they weren’t part of your phone) and other assorted giveaways. We got a small commission if we could book the client. My coworkers and I would call from a list of leads that our employers had purchased from someone. These leads were supposedly “qualified” ahead of time, meaning that they had been vetted to meet the needs of the client, the mobile home company. Unfortunately, most of the leads were useless. The people we spoke to didn’t live in the right geographical areas or their incomes were too low.  “Why aren’t you guys closing anyone?” the boss w

Planting Seeds Vs. Landmines

Analogies are everywhere in business these days, but the sales profession has some of the best ones. One I have used for years is that when prospecting and marketing for clients, you should be leaving landmines everywhere, because sooner or later, someone will "step on it" and your sales will blow up. Recently, Davan Johnson, a coworker and friend of mine, appeared on my YouTube channel and we discussed prospecting for clients. He used the analogy of "planting seeds" while "preparing for a harvest". I chuckled as I explained that I preferred my more violent analogy. "I'm attaching life insurance applications to the landmine," I said. Feel free to use either analogy when you consider your prospecting plans. Both have the same principle, which is to always look for opportunities to meet people and tell your story.  You never know when one will blossom or explode. Ch ris Castane s is a professional speaker who helps sales people succeed through

How Lame Will Your Holiday Party Be This Year?

Over the years I've worked with, and for, many companies, large and small. And as each of these companies varied in size, structure and philosophy, there was also differences in how they handled the issue of a "holiday" party.  As the Christmas party became a Holiday party (and to be fair, not everyone celebrates Christmas and I can respect that), the parties themselves morphed into several formats, or worse, just disappeared altogether.  One company I worked with left the issue to each location's manager to provide for a small "get together" and a small amount of petty cash could be used for refreshments. Since our location was rather small, the manager would order a few pizzas and provide soft drinks in their home. There was an unofficial "bring your own" policy for alcoholic drinks and we even had a gift exchange.  It was all good and everyone behaved, however each year we would receive some story from the home office about how another location&